Friday, September 11, 2015

Just because you don't talk about his Suicide , Doesn't mean it didn't happen

Death is difficult for those of us that are still alive but I think we usually comfort one another when we discuss the loss among family and friends. We work through the pain and are able to cope so much better.
Unless of course the death is caused by Suicide...then we just don't talk about it at all.
I have had countless conversations about my Dad's death, My Grandparents deaths, and the death of Friends that have been lost.
I can count on one hand how many conversations I have had about Patrick's Suicide
It is a sad reality that we live in a world where Suicide is a tabu subject. No one wants to talk about it or hear about it and so the survivors of Suicide (those left behind) must suffer through this most horrible traumatic experience basically isolated from any understanding at all. It is sad and it gets really lonely.
No one ever brings Patrick's name up, I guess they figure by not mentioning him they will spare me unnecessary pain but don't you understand how much it hurts that you all have forgotten him?
That is how it feels because the way he died has caused you all to not even want to talk about the way he lived, it's so unfair.
Pretending that he did not exist will never make this go away and no amount of time will ever make me forget him even if no one ever mentions his name ever again. No amount of silence about that day will erase it from my memory, trust me, it has embedded itself within my soul.

What would Help me?

Just say his name once in a while, I won't fall apart I promise. I need to know that you remember him too because I loved him so much, he was my best friend.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen, I know you dont know me, saw your profile on Quora when I was having dark thoughts... but i wanted to let you know i thought of you and your friendship with Patrick today...with the thought of hopefully keeping his memory alive by someone thinking of him... take care and hopefully things do work out...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...